So, what are the thermostats that work with Alexa?
A couple of days ago I created an article where I covered different thermostats that are compatible with ring devices.
While the article quenched the thirst of many readers who were interested in it, I was also asked to relay an article that collects the best thermostats that are Alexa compatible as well.
And so, in this article let us look at different smart thermostats that are compatible and work with Alexa.
But before we do that, I think it is important for me to present this whole domain of smart gadgets into context really quickly.
Because before you go ahead and make a purchase decision on getting a smart gadget, you have to take into account different requirements that you want a smart device to fulfil and what exactly it is that you are getting.
The reason why I say this is because there are just too many gadget manufacturers already out there and new ones are popping up every day.
And not all of them offer quality devices obviously.
So, if you are investing in something like a smart gadget, it will serve you well to go a little deep into research on the device you are eyeing.
Smart gadgets are those that operate in tandem with other smart devices in a smart ecosystem.
- They should be able to communicate well with each other and with you using advanced technology like Alexa, Google Assistant etc.
- All smart gadgets must be able to update their software and security features by themselves and for this they must have a constant stable connection with the cloud.
- They should be able to take intelligent decisions and actions with respect to changes in external environments or factors.
- They must provide simple user interface so that you can interact with them easily.
- Lastly, and I can’t stress this enough, MUST BE EASY TO INSTALL.
You won’t believe how often do I hear customers instantly regretting their buys especially, smart gadgets, which even if aren’t new introductions into tech, but are definitely new to most people as they are deploying it for the first time.
Okay with that little cautionary input off my chest, let me quickly relay to you the top thermostats that work with Alexa in decreasing order of relevancy.
- EcoBee Smart Thermostat With Voice Control
- Google Nest Smart Thermostat
- Honeywell T5 Plus Smart Thermostat
- EcoBee3 Lite Smart Thermostat
- Emerson Sensei Touch Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat
- Honeywell RTH9585WF1004 Programmable Thermostat
- WYZE Smart Wi-Fi Thermostat
Here are some other articles that will broaden your understanding of thermostats and smart gadgets in general.
- Can Smart Thermostats Work Without Wi-Fi?
- Top 7 Ring Compatible Thermostats For Your Smart Home.
- Do Smart Home Devices Slow Down Wi-Fi?
- Do Smart Plugs Need Wi-Fi?
- How To Set Up A Wi-Fi Router For Smart Gadgets With A PC?
Best Smart Thermostats That Work With Alexa
So those were the best thermostats that you can get your hands on right now and which are known to work well with Alexa.
While those are the top picks for the best thermostats that work with Alexa, I don’t want you to be satisfied.
I say this by requoting what I said in the beginning of this post, when it comes to shopping for smart gadgets you must know what you are getting for your investment.
Because let’s be real here smart gadgets aren’t cheap.
And therefore, if you are looking to buy any of the available choices that I have listed above, let me quickly show you what you are going to get in return for your investment.
I will breakdown the key features in small understandable chunks so that you will have a comprehensive overview about the thermostats quickly.
This should come in very handy when you finalize your purchase and hit that buy now button.
EcoBee Smart Thermostat With Voice Control
- Place SmartSensor in the most important room, like your bedroom, child’s room, or office to keep it the perfect temperature
- Smart Home & Away detects your presence and automatically adjusts the temperature for comfort when you’re home and reduced energy use when you’re away
- Time of Use cools or heats your home during times when energy is less expensive without impacting comfort
- Named “Best Overall Smart Thermostat” by Tom’s Guide
- Take control of your temperature from anywhere with the ecobee app
The incorporation of Alexa in Ecobee smart thermostats is relatively new.
The first unit that had built-in Alexa was EcoBee4. The introduction was a hit and the device was received really well by the users.
The newer introduction in the line-up is labelled Ecobee Smart Thermostat with voice control.
Key highlights in this iteration include a better, cleaner and modern looking display.
It incorporates a quad-core compute level processor that aids in smooth functionality and better voice recognition.
And of course, the innate incorporation of Alexa means you can communicate with your thermostat as if it were a human and command it to adjust the temperature, ask it for weather, trending news or play your favourite music with Spotify.
Here are the pros and cons that you can weigh in before you go ahead and buy the thermostat.
Google Nest Smart Thermostat
- ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostat for home that helps you save energy and stay comfortable
- The Nest Thermostat is designed to work without a C wire in most homes, but for some systems, including heating only, cooling only, zone controlled, and heat pump systems, you’ll need a C wire or other compatible power accessory
- Nest Thermostat turns itself down when you leave, so you don’t waste energy heating or cooling an empty home
- Programmable thermostat that lets you create an energy efficient schedule in the Google Home app on your Android or iPhone
- Remote control lets family members change the thermostat temperature from anywhere on a phone, laptop, or tablet
Because Nest belongs to google you can be forgiven to think that it may support Google Assistant exclusively.
But thankfully that isn’t the case as the Google Nest Smart Thermostat supports both google assistant and Alexa.
This particular thermostat can be seen as a trimmed down version of other expensive featured packed thermostats by Nest.
For example, the device doesn’t inherently contain smart voice control and you need an Echo in order to relay commands remotely.
But even though the thermostat includes a subset of features from Nest’s full-fledged thermostat, still they pack enough features you would expect from a smart thermostat.
Installing Nest thermostat is relatively easy, however, you will require a C-wire in order for it to get stable voltage supply.
Honeywell T5 Plus Smart Thermostat
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- Product requires C-Wire, unit will not work without it.
- Control your Smart Home with Amazon Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately) and Apple HomeKit with voice control using Siri, the Apple voice assistant
- 7-Day Flexible Scheduling or Location Based Temperature control (GeoFencing). Uses geofencing technology to keep track of your smart phone's location;Auto changeover: The Lyric T5 smart thermostat can be set to determine if the home's system should be in heating or cooling mode to provide maximum comfort
- Adaptive recovery learns how long it takes to achieve the right temperature at the right time and automatically runs your system to get to your desired temperature when you want it, with auto change from heat to cool
Even though the T5 isn’t as boastful in terms of features when compared with Honeywell RTH958WF1004 but it does offer features like geofencing which are absent in the latter.
Geofencing technology allows the thermostat to sense the presence of people in the room and modulate temperature depending on it.
There is a set of features that are common in both T5 and RTH958WF1004 such as smart notifications, intelligent scheduling which makes the thermostat wholesome enough to invest in.
Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat
- Advanced control from anywhere using your Android or iOS device
- Integrates seamlessly with your preferred smart home system
- Energy Star certified, plus you can save up to 23% annually on heating and cooling costs. Compared to a hold of 72°F
- Add SmartSensor to manage hot or cold spots and deliver enhanced comfort to the rooms that matter most
- Thoughtfully designed to illuminate when you’re nearby. Check the temperature, humidity, and 5-day weather forecast
One of the older gadgets on the list but truth be told it is holding up pretty nicely even today.
The EcoBee3 Lite is pretty basic as it misses upon many fancy features that many other thermostats on the list have but it does the task that it is supposed to do pretty well.
For example, it doesn’t include any smart sensors originally, although you can enable it to work with independently available EcoBee sensors.
You can also use an Echo speaker or any other Alexa enabled gadgets to change settings, monitor temperature and in general control your thermostat.
Here are the top pros and cons associated with the EcoBee lite.
Emerson Sensei Touch Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat
- EDITORS CHOICE BEST OVERALL SMART THERMOSTAT by USA Today’s reviewed.com
- SAVE ABOUT 23% ON HVAC ENERGY*: By adjusting the temperature using flexible scheduling, remote access, and geofencing, Sensi customers saved about 23% on HVAC energy usage
- MOST INSTALL IN 30 MINUTES OR LESS**: Use the built-in level, illuminated easy-click terminals and step-by-step app instructions for a quick installation. Skip any extra work painting or patching the wall thanks to the standard thermostat size.
- SMART HOME COMPATIBLE: Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, and Samsung SmartThings smart home platforms.
- USAGE REPORTS: Monitor current day and historical heating, cooling and fan runtimes right in the app.
Apart from the big, bright, HD screen the Emerson Sensei offers compatibility with Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit and Samsung SmartThings.
This is good because you don’t have to have only a specific domain of gadgets in order to remotely control your thermostat.
Another very important feature that I like is its energy logging capability.
The energy consumption data that the thermostat collects over a period of time can be used to make appropriate temperature modulating choices.
The thermostat also smartly manages alerts and notifications to detect and monitor intense temperature variations or unusual humidity ranges.
While I am a fan of the large screen real estate and the fact that it changes its color depending on its current heating or cooling status, for some people the screen may be too large for their liking.
But keeping these little caveats aside, the Emerson Sensei Smart Thermostat can be an excellent choice for anyone looking to get the best thermostats that work with Alexa.
Honeywell RTH9585WF1004 Programmable Thermostat
- COMFORT COMES IN YOUR COLOR. Personalize your Wi-Fi Smart Color Programmable Thermostat to fit your décor.
- YOUR SCHEDULE. YOUR WAY. Flexible programming options for your schedule or utility company’s peak rate pricing.
- EASY OPERATION AND INTUITIVE. Bright, easy-to-read touchscreen makes for simple operation.
- WEATHER SCREEN FEATURES. View the daily forecast on the screen, and check indoor and outdoor humidity.
- EASY-TO-USE-APP. Choose from the Total Connect Comfort app or the Honeywell Home app to control your WiFi thermostat anytime, anywhere.
We discussed the T5 plus smart thermostat by Honeywell above, this particular smart thermostat by Honeywell, labelled officially as RTH9585WF1004 is basically its bigger brother.
If for some reason you are not satisfied by the smart thermostats by Nest and EcoBee, Honeywell thermostats should very well be your next obvious choice.
This smart programmable thermostat is compatible with most voice recognition platform including of course Alexa.
The user interface is fairly simple to understand and the screen is clear, bright and embedded onto a classic looking body with clean sharp edges.
The screen is relatively large at 4.5 inches when compared Honeywell T5 plus and comes in handy to present more data and options to work with.
Different features that are visible on the screen that you can interact with are humidity levels, forecast, scheduling and alerts.
One key highlight that sets this smart thermostat apart is its capacity to learn for your temperature preference and optimize heating and cooling at different times.
Here care the different highlights at a glance.
WYZE Smart Wi-Fi Thermostat
- Control from the app: No matter where you are in the world, you’re always just a few taps away from dialing in the perfect temperature. Arrive home to the perfect temperature, Save energy, Keep pets comfortable Prevent frozen plumbing
- Works with voice assistants: When your morning coffee and blanket aren’t cutting it, adjust the thermostat with your voice by asking Alexa
- 7-Day scheduling: Create schedules for every weekday and weekend so you don’t have to keep going back and forth to your thermostat
- Usage tracking with insights: We’ll do the thinking for you. Like an energy-saving gnome inside your phone, the Wyze app will recommend actionable insights based on your usage to help reduce wasted energy
- Zero learning curve temperature control: Easy control for guests and families. Adjusting the temperature is as straightforward and intuitive as walking to the wall and turning the dial
Last on the list is a new introduction into the smart thermostat space.
But even though it is new, it seems it contains all the necessary features you would want in a smart thermostat and all of that at a reasonable price.
Key features offered by Wyze smart thermostat that stand out are intelligent scheduling, usage tracking which recommends actionable insights into thermostat operation and power saving mode.
So those were the picks for the best thermostats that work with Alexa that you can go ahead and buy right now.
But I know as someone who is looking to get a smart thermostat, the query doesn’t end at just knowing what thermostat works best with Alexa.
So let me quickly address a few other queries that I feel you may be having in some corner of your mind.
This will make your understanding a lot more comprehensive and you won’t have to waste your time browsing for them explicitly.
As a matter of fact, if you have any other query apart from what I am covering here let me know in the comments section below.
If its potent enough, and if I feel make people will benefit from it I will answer it and include it in the post.
Can Smart Thermostats Detect Room Occupancy?
Smart thermostats that inherently have geofencing technology are able to detect room occupancy through relevant sensors. This means if there is any activity in a room these thermostats will be able to sense it and will modulate the temperature accordingly. This is particularly useful if you have pets in the room and the technology helps save a lot of energy.
Are Smart Thermostats Easy To Install?
Manufacturers understand that they need to create gadgets that can easily transition into their customer’s home. Therefore, most smart thermostats developed by leading companies like Nest, Ecobee, Honeywell etc. are really easy to install. Manufacturers are creating thermostats that don’t require C-wire, and if they do, they ensure they provide detailed instructions for installation.
Does Nest Thermostat Work In Condos?
Yes, you can install Nest Thermostats in a condo too. With the second and third generation Nest thermostats, you can pair them with 24V horizontal and vertical fan coil systems. They come incorporated with 10 wire connectors which you can use to deploy the Nest learning thermostat on your condo’s HVAC system.
Here is the detailed information on all the generations of Nest thermostats that will help you choose the one that fits your needs.
Alright folks that’s all I have to share, as far as this article on the best thermostats that work with Alexa is concerned.
As I have already pointed out, this is an interactive platform so I urge you to leave any feedbacks, comments and queries that you might have associated with smart thermostats.
Here are some other posts on thermostat that I think you can go through in order to strengthen your comprehension on thermostats even more.
- Do Smart Home Devices Slow Down Wi-Fi?
- Can Smart Thermostats Work Without Wi-Fi?
- Top 7 Ring Compatible Thermostats For Your Smart Home.
Share the post as much as you can and do not forget to subscribe to the blog in order to receive helpful content like this delivered straight into your inbox.
Take care of yourselves and I will see you in the next one!