Out of the many aspects that make a gadget smart, its capacity to communicate over a network is one of the top ones. Just the other day I received a query on my mail from one of my readers asking me to suggest best ring compatible thermostat to him.
And the query caught my interest as in a world where gadgets from different manufacturers are popping out every day, eventually cross platform communication channels should see more innovation and investment.
Smart gadgets made by the same manufacturer, more often than not have an inherent capacity to communicate over a common network.
But if it so happens that gadgets incorporate a capacity to communicate across platforms, it really brings a degree of cohesiveness in the ecosystem of smart gadgets.
I like bringing and interfacing different electronics subsystems and it so happens that the last few posts that I have created on this blog revolve around doing just that.
Here are those posts, and I think you should give a read as well as it will provide more insights into your comprehension of IoT.
In this article, let me relay to you some of the best ring compatible thermostats that you can get your hands on.
Before you do that go ahead and open these articles in a new tab, they are worth it I am telling you.
- Do Smart Home Devices Slow Down Wi-Fi?
- Do Smart Plugs Need Wi-Fi?
- Can Smart Thermostats Work Without Wi-Fi?
- Best Web Browser Apps For Smart TV?
- How To Convert A PC Monitor Into A Smart TV?
When I say, best ring compatible thermostat, understand that Ring as of now doesn’t provide any official support to incorporate thermostats in its domain and it doesn’t create any of its own now. I really don’t know why that is.
So, the question that stands is
Does Ring Work With Any Thermostat?
You will be able to take control of Nest and some other thermostats using Ring, however, you will be able to do that only by using an IFTTT (If This Then That) app. Using an IFTTT app will bring the two devices in a common domain and thus enable the control.
So, there is a viable workaround through which you can make certain thermostats work with Ring.
Here are all the thermostats that are known to work with Ring doorbell.
- Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat
- Honeywell T5 Smart Thermostat
- Carrier Cor 5C Thermostat
- Emerson Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat
- Lennox E30 Smart Thermostat
- GLAS Smart Thermostat by Johnson Controls
- Lux Kono Smart Thermostat
One thing that is incredible and common among all these smart thermostats is, all of them are compatible with Alexa.
You can use any of your Alexa compatible devices to enable and control different functionalities of these smart devices.
And because Amazon acquired Ring in 2018, the Alexa based compatibility among these different platforms will be a breeze.
All you really need to have is an Alexa enabled device, and you will then be able to control your thermostats using voice commands and also the Alexa app of course.
Just ensure that all the devices in your ecosystem are on the same network or Wi-Fi, so that connect and communicate with each other.
Pros And Cons Of Ring Compatible Thermostats
Okay now that you know the best ring compatible thermostats, let me quickly throw some light on what you can expect if you happen to choose any of the best ring compatible thermostat I have relayed above.
Looking at the various pros and cons of the mentioned ring compatible thermostats will give you a greater insight into each of these devices which will help you make an informed purchase decision.
- Room sensor manages hot or cold spots
- Detects room occupancy for optimal comfort
- Built-in Amazon Alexa Voice Service
- Far-field voice recognition across the room
- Free ecobee Android and iOS mobile app
With exceptional features like Alexa compatibility, responsive touchscreen, remote sensors and the new and improved mobile app, the Ecobee Gen 4 has all essential features that make it stand out as a smart thermostat.
It’s easy to install, even more easy to use with its simple interface and is compatible with most heating and cooling systems.
Here are the prominent positives and negatives of the Ecobee Gen 4 smart thermostat.
- The T5 Smart thermostat is fully compatible with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, IFTTT, Cortana and other ecosystems
- 7-Day Flexible Scheduling or Location Based Temperature control (GeoFencing)
- Adaptive recovery learns how long it takes to achieve the right temperature at the right time and automatically runs your system to get to your desired temperature when you want it, with auto change from heat to cool
- ENERGY STAR certified. Help save energy, track your heating and cooling with monthly energy reports and get personalized tips on reducing energy use
- COMPATIBLE WITH: Forced air (gas, oil or electric), hot water and steam, and heat pumps with electric backup. Does NOT work with electric baseboard heat (120-240V). C-Wire required.
Some of the cool features that the Honeywell T5 smart thermostat include home climate scheduling, geofencing and a host of integration capacities.
One of the best things about the smart thermostat is the fact that it is one of the cheapest one in the market, and its actually quite incredible keeping in context some of the advanced feature it offers.
Here are the core pros and cons offered by the Honeywell T5 smart thermostat.
3. Carrier Cor 5C Thermostat
Carrier is one of the top residential HVAC equipment manufacturing unit in North America. And as such their thermostats relay all the qualities required in a premium product like design, efficiency, ease of use and advanced options.
The Carrier thermostat does the job that it is designed to do pretty effectively but most agree that it still does lack in features when you look at it compared to some other thermostats that are available in the market.
Lack of extra sensors like what you find in Ecobee, absence of geofencing like the Honeywell Lyric and the varied domain of compatibilities which nest offers are some areas where the Carrier Cor thermostat lacks.
If addressed in future iterations, it can be said with a great degree of certainty that it can be one of the top picks in smart thermostat space among customers.
- PRIVACY PROTECTION*: Sensi won’t sell your personal information to third parties
- EASY DIY INSTALLATION: Use the built-in level, illuminated easy-click terminals and step-by-step app instructions for a quick installation; Works with the HVAC equipment found in most homes. Common wire (c-wire) is required
- SAVE ABOUT 23% ON HVAC ENERGY*: The ENERGY STAR-certified Sensi smart thermostat can help you save energy with features like flexible scheduling, remote access and usage reports
- SLEEK, MODERN DESIGN: The large color display features easy-to-read temperatures and intuitive menus. Available in black, white and silver to complement your home décor
- CONTROL FROM ANYWHERE: Remotely control your home comfort from your smartphone or tablet using the Sensi mobile app for Android and iOS devices
The key feature in Emerson’s touch thermostat is its large customizable HD screen and the geofencing capacity.
I felt that the pricing is a bit on the higher side when compared with the competition but the added functionalities do justify the cost demands.
While many do love the rotary dial design offered by Nest, the simple, clean design offered by Emerson does offer it a classy modern look and is also a nice contrast to what most people are used to.
Here are the top pros and cons about the unit.
- Feels Like Setting: Similar to the “Feels Like” temperature in a weather report, this takes into account temperature and humidity, making your home feel exactly like you want
- Allergen Defender: Monitors the air quality and pollen levels in your local zip or postal code and automatically turns the system fan on as needed to clean your home’s air.
- Perfect Temp: Allows you to set the ideal temperature. The system then automatically adjusts heating and cooling to maintain that setting
- Smart Away Mode: Uses the location services in your smartphone to detect when you’re leaving, and automatically changes the temperature to a more energy-efficient setting.
- Alexa Integration: The iComfort E30 smart thermostat is an Amazon Alexa-enabled, smart-home-compatible thermostat. It works with Amazon Echo, Echo Dot and Tap devices allowing the homeowner to ask Alexa to adjust the temperature.
Another smart thermostat that is on the pricey side but does everything that you will expect from a smart gadget like this.
Compatible with most HVAC systems, the thermostat comes packed with useful features labelled by the manufacturer as “Perfect Temp” and “Feels Like“.
What both of these features do are analyse indoor temperature/humidity and outdoor temperature to determine the ideal temperature settings for that day.
- Indoor air quality monitoring including humidity, total VOCs and equivalent CO2
- Outdoor air quality reporting including allergens, air quality index and UV index. Compatability GLAS can control the following types of split or packaged units- Conventional, single stage up to 2H/2C, Heat pump, up to 2H/2C/2 Aux Heat. GLAS is compatible with the following HVAC configurations- Gas Heat, Oil Heat,Electric Heat,Ground-, Air-, and Water-source heat pumps, Dual-fuel support for Heat Pump
- Works with Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant
- Beautiful user interface and a translucent OLED touchscreen
- Program your own schedule or allow GLAS to do it for you using the integrated occupancy sensor to create a comfortable space when you are at home
Flaunted as one of the niftiest and coolest thermostats you will come across, GLAS Smart Thermostat by Johnson Controls features an attention-grabbing OLED touchscreen which has premium written all over it.
Users really cherish the interface where they can swipe left or right to alter between air-quality monitor and HVAC system status respectively.
The GLAS smart thermostat also features a tech similar to geofencing wherein it can determine if your home is occupied or empty and thus adjust its settings and features as per that.
Here are some positives and negatives you can weigh in on to make your purchase decision.
- SAY HELLO: Using the cloud, the Kono Smart Thermostat works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Apple HomeKit
- WELCOME HOME: Geofencing automatically adjusts your home comfort level using proximity awareness for when your home and away
- SAVE MORE: Keep track of energy and runtime usage while smart scheduling estimates utility costs
- COMPATIBLE: Compatible with your lifestyle and home, the Kono Smart Thermostat works with forced air, gas, oil, electric furnaces and A/C units with a C-wire connection
- CONNECTED: Free IOS and Android apps make scheduling a snap and deliver remote access to adjust temperature, schedule and fan
Coming at a reasonable price Lux Kono definitely makes an appealing case given the fact that it is smacked with features that you see in high end smart thermostats.
It’s relatively easy to install and among the top features the most prominent ones are compatibility with Alexa, Assistant, Siri, geofencing and smart scheduling.
While the usage statistics are really helpful, users do report they the gadget would do well if it also reported details that affect temperature modulation like outdoor temperature and humidity.
Here are my likes and dislikes associated with Lux Kono smart thermostat.
Now that I have relayed to you the best Ring compatible thermostats, let me quickly also answer some questions that I know for a fact someone interested in smart thermostats in some corner of their mind.
If you have any other queries on the topic let me know in the comments below and I will include them in this frequently asked question section.
Do Video Doorbells Work With Smart Thermostats?
As of now there hasn’t been any reports from Ring indicating whether they will explicitly incorporate some feature to support smart thermostats. As of now, only Google Nest ecosystem offers seamless integration between its thermostat and video doorbell.
Currently, the best way to try and integrate devices from different domains and manufacturers still remains using IFTTT apps. The other way to include different devices under common domain is if all of them use Z-wave.
Z-Wave tech deploys low-energy radio waves to create a pool within which different devices that are on it can communicate with each other. The tech is relatively new and hasn’t seen the widespread deployment it should have which I am hoping should change soon.
What Other Devices Work With Ring?
The devices manufactured by Ring are compatible with many other Alexa enabled smart gadgets like Echo Dot, Echo Spot, Fire TV Sticks, Echo Show etc. This shouldn’t come as a surprise because Amazon acquired Ring in 2018, and that’s why Ring is compatible with most Amazon owner smart devices.
Do All Smart Thermostats Require A C-Wire?
No, not all smart thermostats need a C-Wire for installation. Manufacturers understand that most older homes that have temperature modulating units won’t have a C-wire. And modify your distribution system to include one may not be comfortable or cheap for that matter. Therefore, alternate solutions like batteries or power extension kit with minimal wiring are becoming popular.
Here are the top picks for best smart thermostat without c wire,
- Nest Thermostat E.
- Ecobee Smart Thermostat
- Mysa Smart Thermostat
- Nest learning Thermostat
- Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat
Can A Smart Thermostat Detect Room Occupancy?
Absolutely, most smart thermostats using this technology called geofencing wherein they use an RFID domain to detect if a moving entity has entered it. Smart devices like thermostats use this technique to detect human presence and automatically modulate the temperature to the required optimum value.
With that we are at the end of this elaborate discussion on smart thermostats and more specifically the best ring compatible thermostats.
If you have any other questions, comments or feedbacks about anything you see here on Yantraas, do not hesitate to contact me or leaving a comment below.
Do not leave the page without subscribing to the blog or its accompanying YouTube channel.
Take care of yourselves and I will see you in the next one.