While the world waits with hope in their eyes for the new DDR5 RAM kits, getting the best DDR4 RAM for desktop is your best bet.
In addition to that, if you intend to do resource-hungry tasks like gaming and video editing having high-quality, high capacity RAM becomes even more important to make your computer fast and responsive.
So if you are looking for better and faster memory for your PC, check out my list of the best DDR4 RAM for your desktop computer that you can get your hands on in 2020.
DDR4 RAM Basics: Few Pointers You Need To Know
Since you are reading a post about choosing the best DDR4 RAM for desktop, I am assuming you already know what a computer memory or RAM is.
Still just for anyone who stumbled upon this post and don’t like the technical stuff too much.
Computer memory or Random Access Memory or RAM is that part of your PC that holds programs, applications, and processes currently running on your computer.
Needless to say, the more memory your desktop computer has, the more breathing space will your currently executing tasks will have and thus your system will be faster and responsive.
- Check out this post if you wish to learn how to free up more RAM on your PC to improve its performance.
So what is the difference between the DDR4 and the DDR3 memory?
The difference between the two is that the DDR4 RAM operates at higher clock speeds, lower voltage and can support larger amounts of memory.
Over time computer manufacturers have phased out the DDR3 RAM.
And if you have a reasonably new computer, it’s highly likely that you will needDDR4 RAM only.
Still just to be sure what RAM type you need you can always refer your motherboard manufacturer.
Here is a quick look at the top 5 picks for the best DDR4 RAM for desktop list.
With that said let’s without any further ado look at the list of top 10 DDR4 RAM for your desktop PC you can buy right away.
Best Pound For Pound The Best DDR4 RAM for Desktop
In our list of the best DDR4 RAM for desktop PC the corsair vengeance RGB PROoccupies the top spot and no it isn’t just for the RGB.
It has a peak speed of 3200 MHz which is ideal for gaming and multi-threaded workloads like video editing and rendering.
The corsair vengeance pro RGBis perfect if you wish to add some bling to your PC. 😛
The RGB is wireless, dynamic and not to mention it looks really cool.
Apart from that via Corsair’s iCUE software, you can calibrate the colours to indicate potential troubleshooting.
For example, iCUE can change the colour of all ten lights as an indication of temperature when it goes beyond a certain range.
So whenever you feel the performance isn’t right, a quick look at the RAM sticks will help check if the system temperatures are too high.
And hence lay the groundwork for potential actions like looking at proper cooling solutions.
Therefore, the Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB kit is our top pick in this list of best DDR4 RAM for desktop list.
- Dynamic multi zone RGB lighting
- Next generation software
- Custom performance PCB
- Tightly screened memory. Maximum bandwidth and tight response times. SPD Voltage 1.2 Volt
- Compatibility: Intel 100 Series,Intel 200 Series,Intel 300 Series,Intel X299,AMD 300 Series,AMD 400 Series,AMD X570
Best Aesthetically Pleasing DDR 4 RAM for Desktop
And this is something that you will see in most of the top-end models.
In terms of performance, they match each other shoulder to shoulder.
But there can be other reasons why one would pick one over the other. Aesthetics being the big one.
PC builders pay a lot of attention while building their PC. Proper airflow, cable management and aesthetics form a big part of the whole PC build process.
So if for some reason you choose G.Skill Trident Z over the reasons I just mentioned or you are getting a better price deal on one.
Don’t worry you won’t lack anything on performance with any of these RAM kits.
- TridentZ RGB Series - 16GB DDR4 kit - 2x 8GB matched modules
- Timings of CL16 (16-18-18-38) at 1.35V
- Unique heatsink design with vibrant RGB LEDs
- Specifically engineered for the Intel based platforms
- 3200MHz memory speed, PC4-25600, 288 pins per module
The Best DDR4 RAM For Desktop You Probably Won’t Need
The only reason why I am listing this RAM kit at number three and not number one is because not a lot of people need it.
Unless of course, you wish to build a top of the line no-compromise build than yes, corsair dominator platinum is what you need to get.
But as I said the majority of PC enthusiasts won’t even need to go this far.
The performance difference will too small to notice with respect to the price premium you will pay.
You can use that extra cash into something worthwhile like a better PSU or a mechanical keyboard.
And thus adding the price premium.
But if you are looking to go all out on your PC and wish to extract the last bit of performance you now know what you need to buy.
- Iconic and refined high-performance RGB Memory
- High speed and Tight Timings
- Premium craftsmanship
- 12 ultra-bright RGB LEDs per module
- Patented dual-channel Dhx cooling Technology
Best DDR4 Desktop RAM On A Budget
All the DDR4 RAMs I mentioned till now were all top of the line pricey kits with bling.
It is only logical to discuss a few budget oriented picks.
But don’t feel like since these kits have relatively less price means they will perform any less.
The great thing is because RAMs are those parts of a PC that are compact and have no moving parts;
They require less or no after-sales service and have a minimum of 5-year warranty and perform just as better.
Therefore just because you are on a budget when it comes to computer memory don’t worry about missing out on performance.
Yes, there are other factors like CAS latency that dictate how fast a RAM is in a relative sense but for an average user that won’t be an issue.
Just pick one from this list and you will be fine.
The Patriot Viper 4 series is a simple kit with no fancy RGB but appends your PC aesthetic just fine if you are going with a RED or Black themed build.
The incredible things about this kit is the fact that its heat shield is crafted out of aircraft-grade aluminium which helps with keeping the temperature optimal.
You get a range of option in terms of operating speed ranging from 3000 Hz to 3400 Hz which is great.
Pick the one that suits your needs better.
For gaming, the 2400Hz kit should be fine. But for multi-threaded tasks like video editing try and get the fastest RAM compatible with your motherboard.
One of the best picks if you are looking for a kit on a budget.
- Performance DDR4 Capacity: 16GB (2 x 8GB)
- Base Frequency: PC4-17000 (2133MHz); Tested Frequency: PC4-24000 (3000MHz) with XMP 2.0 enabled
- Base Timings: 15-15-15-36; Tested Timings: 16-18-18-36 with XMP 2.0 enabled
- Voltage: 1.35V; NON-ECC Unbuffered DIMM; Intel XMP 2.0; Pin Out: 288-Pin
- Heat spreader: Anodized Aluminum; backed by manufacturer's limited lifetime warranty.
Best DDR4 RAM For Desktop For Mid-Tier PCs
By the way if you are wondering why am I only suggesting 16 GB kits, that’s because that is the capacity you must target for your upgrade or new PC build.
Yes, I know you will find people saying you can still make do with 8 GB kits.
And yes they aren’t wrong.
But here is the thing most game and software developers are now raising the bar in terms of graphics and performance.
And that means more resource-oriented processes and in-app demands.
32 GB is overkill at this point for an average user unless of course, you wish to build a professional-grade PC.
The 16 GB G.Skill RipJaws Kit is the perfect pick for a mid-tier gaming PC on a budget.
The clock speed of 2400 Mhz is definitely not the fastest with respect to all the options we discussed thus far, but it most definitely is one of the most reliable picks you can get your hands on.
Especially if you are building a core gaming PC you won’t see any difference between picking a 2400Mhz or a 3000 Mhz kit.
The cherry red colour is aesthetically pleasing and will serve you well if you have a black or red build.
- DDR4 memory upgrade designed for Intel Z170 / X99 chipsets (Skylake LGA 1151 / LGA 2011-3 CPU)
- 16GB Dual Channel memory kit - two matched 8GB modules
- Full timings of CL15 (15-15-15-35) at 1.20V
- PC4-19200 specification, rated to run at speeds up to 2400MHz
- 288-pin DDR4 memory, equipped with G.Skill Ripjaws V Red Heatsinks for improved heat dissipation
Best Low profile DDR4 RAM For Desktop
This is one of my favourite DDR4 RAM picks.
So much so that I used them in my PC build.
Corsair Vengeance LPX is designed such that it offers maximum performance and small power footprint.
The heat spreader the memory stick is wrapped in is made of pure aluminium that aids in faster heat dissipation.
In addition to the heat spreader, the presence of 8 layer PCB helps manage heat dissipation and providing extra headroom for overclocking.
The XMP 2.0 support allows for hassle-free automatic overclocking.
The thin design of the Corsair Vengeance LPX doesn’t allow for the inclusion of RGB LEDs, but the sticks sit well with my black and red themed PC build.
But don’t worry you have three colour choices to pick from.
Black, red and blue. Take your pick.
- Designed for high performance overclocking
- Designed for great looks; SPD Speed: 2133MHz
- Performance and compatibility
- Low profile heat spreader design
- Compatibility: Intel 100 Series, Intel 200 Series, Intel 300 Series, Intel X299
Best DDR4 RAM For Desktop For Serious Overclockers
Talking about overclocking, if you are building a PC of which you wish to extract every last ounce of performance;
The HyperX Predator RGB holds an exciting appeal.
The Intel XMP-ready profiles are well optimized for the latest chipsets offered by Intel.
All you need to do is select the relevant profile and you are ready to roll.
The black aluminium heat spreader provides the necessary buffer for effective heat dissipation.
The RGB looks really cool and with HyperX’s Infrared Sync technology you can create similar lighting pattern across all your RAM sticks for that “synchronized bling”.
- Dynamic RGB effects - Give your system a boost of power and stunning RGB style
- HyperX Infrared Sync technology - Easily set up lighting or pattern effects on your memory modules without cables
- Aggressive aluminum heat spreader - Fierce black heat spreader designed to complement the smooth RGB lighting
- Intel XMP-ready profiles - XMP-ready profiles designed for Intel's latest chipsets
Best Performance For Value DDR4 RAM For Desktop PCs
I mentioned this in the previous part of this post that 32 GB is overkill at this point for a majority of users.
But if you have solid reasons to go for a 32 GB memory system and are tight on the budget the Patriot Viper Steel Series 32 (16X2) GB kit is the perfect pick for you.
Patriot has kept things pretty simple here. There is no fancy RGB, no-frills and bling.
In terms of core performance, the benchmarks stay around 1% of the competitors, but the disruptive price cut makes this a mouth-watering deal.
So for all the value-seeking builders out there, you just might have found your champion.
I haven’t tried the kit personally but I have seen reviews taking the kit to a whopping 4400Mhz.
The reason why I am keeping the RAM so lower down the order is because I am a bit sceptic as to how this thing pans out.
Is it just a marketing technique to reel users in by cutting the costs.
If the price remains fixed or fixed between competing kits and if it passes the test I subject it to, I very well may push the kit up the ranks and introduce the Patriot Steel Series 16 GB 4400Mhz Kit into the mix as well.
Till then, if you can’t skip on the 32 GB requirement and are not willing to increase the budget, you just found your pick.
- Capacity: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 Kit
- Aluminum heat spreader with unique and specific design element
- Feature Overclock: XMP 2.0 Support for Automatic Overclocking
- Compatibility: Tested across the latest Intel and AMD platforms for reliable and fast performance
- Format: NON-ECC Unbuffered DIMM; Pin Out: 288-Pin
- Capacity: 16GB (2 x 8GB)DDR4
- Base Frequency: PC4-17000 (2133MHz); Up to PC4-35200 (4400MHz) with XMP 2.0 enabled
- Base Timings: 15-15-15-36; Overclock timing with XMP 2.0 enabled Tested Timings: 19-19-19-39
- COMPATIBILITY: Tested on the latest Intel & AMD platforms; before purchase, please confirm compatibility by contacting Patriot Memory at www.patriotmemory.com.
- Custom design and series: All aluminum heat shield featuring gunmetal grey sides with diamond- cut viper logo and black top.
Best DDR4 Desktop RAM To Upgrade Your PC.
The HyperX Fury just received an update and is worth considering especially if you are looking to just upgrade your PC to be more fast and responsive.
Its new design design consists of an upgraded heat spreader and clock speeds up 3466Mhz giving it a nice performance boost.
HyperX FURY is XMP-ready and is available in speeds ranging from 2400MHz–3466MHz speeds, latencies of CL15–17 to cover a wide variety of needs.
The memory is available in single module capacities of 8GB and 16GB, and kit capacities of 16GB–64GB that you can choose depending on what tasks you wish to accomplish from your system.
There are three colour options available, black, red and white.
Choose the one that meets your system theme.
- Automatic overclocking – Up to 3466MHz33
- Cost-efficient, high-performance DDR4 upgrade
- Intel XMP support for the latest processor technologies
- Run cool with energy-efficient 1. 2V DDR4
- Signature asymmetrical FURY design with low-profile heat spreader
10.Crucial Ballistix Sport
Best DDR4 RAM For Laptops
As far as desktops are concerned those were my best picks.
But I felt this post would remain incomplete if I do not suggest at least one pick for anyone who is looking to make their computer more responsive.
I covered this in my post on how to free up more RAM but in order to boost your laptop’s performance to its maximum;
There are two upgrades that you need to do essentially.
First, of course, is getting yourselves good quality RAM for your PC like the Crucial Ballistix 16GB Kit.
- Ideal for laptop gamers and performance enthusiasts
- Engineered for the latest AMD and Intel platforms
- XMP 2 0 support for automatic overclocking or run at JEDEC default profile
- High-quality extruded aluminum heat spreader for max heat dissipation and thermal management
These SODIMM sticks are designed in such a way with their High-quality extruded aluminium heat spreader that they deliver fast speeds for multi-tasking with effective battery management.
Ideal for anyone looking to upgrade their laptops for gaming or creative workflows.
However, it’s my job to make you aware that the RAM upgrade alone won’t offer the maximum performance that you can possibly get from your laptop.
Then the only possible upgrades left are RAM that we just discussed and second, and this is the big one, .
- Sequential reads/writes up to 560/510 MB/s and random reads/writes up to 95k/90k on all file types
- Accelerated by Micron 3D NAND technology
- Integrated power loss Immunity preserves all your saved work if the power unexpectedly gets cut
- AES 256 bit hardware based encryption keeps data safe and secure from hackers and thieves
- Crucial 5 year limited warranty
If you have never worked on a system with an SSD before, the performance change you are going to see in both gaming and productivity is going to blow your freakin mind.
The very laptop I am writing this post on has seen this upgrade and oh my dear.
It basically breathes a new life into your system.
I will go ahead and say this.
If are looking to get a new computer and are on a budget.
If you have a decent laptop, do this upgrade that I am suggesting here.
Save your money and at a later stage build a brand new powerful PC for yourself.
You will first hand see how performance changes by this upgrade which will set a benchmark of sorts to decide what you actually want from the PC you will build in the future.
Sensible step, isn’t it?
Alright, my peeps, with that we are at the end of this comprehensive post on choosing the best DDR4 RAM for your Desktop (and laptop it seems :P).
By now means am I suggesting that these are the only picks and there aren’t other best DDR4 RAM for Desktop out there.
In order to make the post comprehensive and create a knowledge base that also doesn’t confuse you(a lot :P), I stopped at 10 picks.
If you have any other suggestion or are using any DDR4 RAM on your computer and are happy with it.
Don’t forget to comment the same in the comments section below for others to know.
With that said I request your permission to take leave.
Subscribe to the blog, to the YouTube channel to stay tuned.
Take great care of yourselves and I am going to see you in the next one.